Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fasting Day 7



Day 7:

To persevere:  "Continue in a course of action even in the face of difficulty or with little or no indication of success."  Wow!  In order to persevere , one must have a degree of faith, hope and trust, especially if what we are perserving in is not yet showing any indiciation of success.  Today is my 7th day of this partial fast and it really is a journey, because some days are better than others, with their ups and downs.  However, despite my weaknesses and really wanting to grab a glass of wine or piece of meat, I know I need to perserve.  I have not had a huge "awakening" in the last seven days, if anything, I have just confirmed how weak of an individual I am; however, deep down inside, I know that "When I am weak, I am strong," (2 Corinthians 12:10 ) so I will perserve.  I trust that God will pour out his graces on me as I perform this humble and little sacrafice.  I trust he will answer my prayers and grant me clarity and a resolution to my discernment. 

Today in my morning reflection I came across these words that happen to be inscribed on a cathedral door in Milan:

"All that pleases is but for a moment.  All that troubles is but for a moment.  That only is important which is eternal."

Preserve and focus on the eternal! 

Today's Fasting Prayer:
Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of a new day.  Each day you give us an opportunity to start over, to preserve.  Grant me your strength and courage.  Release me from every fear and concern.  Take care of it all Father, I know that you will. 

As a special intention I would like to also pray today for all the elderly and lonely in our families, neighborhoods and those who are forgotten about.  Grant them comfort, peace and the gift of companionship.  It is possible to be lonely even when one is in a crowd, so be with those people in a special way today Lord.  Amen.

Citation:
Beyer, Richard. (1993).  Medjugorje Day by Day.  Avia Maria Press.  Norte Dame, IN.

Google. Dictionary.  "Persevere."  Retrieved May 18, 2011 from:  http://www.google.com/#hl=en&biw=1579&bih=694&q=persevere&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=HPTTTd26Js7ngQfUnO0t&ved=0CCIQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=ecbf8a9c27052cf6

2 comments: