Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Something to Share ~ A Few Favorite Bible Verses



Daily Grace, a fellow Christain blogger has asked that I share three of my favorite bible verses.  A few bloggers are doing this and I think it is a nice way to build community.  This being said, here are a few of my favorite bible verses:

Jeremiah 17: 7-8
"Blessed is the man who puts his trust in Yahweh and whose confidence is in him! He is like a tree planted by the water, sending out its roots towards the stream.  He has no fear when the heat comes his leaves are always green; the year of drought is no problem and he can always bear fruit."

Reflection:  I love this verse from Jeremiah, because it shows the confidence we can obtain if we trust in the Lord.  We can withstand every trial, every difficulty if are peace and trust are in Him.  We can handle life's trouble with grace and be a true example.

Philippians 4: 4-7
"Rejoice in the Lord aways. I say it again:  rejoice and may everyone expereince your gentle and understanding heart, The Lord is near: do not be anxious about anything.  In everything resort to prayer and supplication together with thanksgiving and bring your requests before God.  Then the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Reflection:  I've had this passage marked in my bible for years and read it often.  It always soothes my soul.

Matthew 5: 46-48:
"If you love those who love you, what is special about that?  Do not even tax collectors do as much?  And if you are friendly only to your friends, what is so exceptional about that?  Do not even the pagans do as much?  For your part you shall be righteous and perfect in the way your heavenly Father is righteous and perfect."

Reflection:  This sums up the Gospel, to love one another and bare with one another.  I can have a hard time forgiving and interacting with people who are not like me, so I try to reflect on this as a reminder that God calls me to love, even when it is uncomfortable and a challenge.

I would like to read the following bloggers' three favorite bible verses:

Wake Up Dave
Ask Sister Martha
Meandering Thru Life

5 comments:

  1. Trust,gratitude and mercy are three beautiful themes that run through the gospel. The reflections you wrote on each passage speaks volumes as to the loving and compassionate person you are.

    Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, DG. These are all very good reminders. Thank you for encouraging me to share them and reflect on them.

    God Bless,
    JEK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your "About Me". Very inspiring.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Victor for stopping by the blog. God bless.--JEK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! We follow your blog and I (Kayle) am a recent convert to the Catholic faith (grew up Lutheran and married as a Lutheran). We learn so much keeping up with your blog! I was hoping to send this you via email or comment box, but I couldn't find either on your blog. I wanted to share a resource for Catholic gifts with you that maybe you could share on the blog? It is BlessedSources.org I used this coupon for 20% off good for July: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/blessedsources.org

    Thank you and keep up the good work!

    God Bless,
    Kayle and Thomas

    ReplyDelete